once our eyes are opened, we cannot pretend we don't know what to do.

God, who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls,

knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act.

Monday, August 8, 2011

//"good morning, sweetpea"

where was i when the rockets came to life
and carried you away
into the alligator sky
even though i'll never know what's up ahead
i'm never letting go
i'm never letting go
-owl city | alligator sky


{this post really has nothing to do with africa.
but it's an important part of who i am.}

august 9, 2010.

i'm tidying up my bedroom.
mike's best friend, wife, and new daughter
are coming in from michigan to stay with
us for a few days.
mom's still at the hospital waiting
for discharge papers.
she's on the phone, texting and waiting.
dad's getting ready to pick her up.
mike's dropping off winny at the groomers.
pj's out with his girlfriend.
kay's out with her boyfriend.
mike calls, urgency in his voice:
"baby, we gotta go to the hospital, dad are i
are on the way and we gotta go.  mommy had another
heart attack."
my knees hit the floor.
i can't breathe.
God, don't do this.
not her.
not now.
please.
it's been four days since i've seen her face.
just a few hours since i've spoken to her.
i call kaylin and pj.
we're all meeting here.
randy's gonna meet us at the hospital
i can't stand waiting for mike to get here.
i call the hospital,
"i need to know what's going on, please
have someone call me"
"they are working on her now, i'll have the doctor
call you as soon as he can"
working on her?
what does that mean?
i call mike and fill him in.
pj and his girlfriend get to the house.
the phone rings...it's the doctor.
he tells me a bunch of things i already know.
then he says the words,
"she passed..."
i fall on my living room floor.
pj catches me.
mike and dad are on their way and they don't know yet.
mike runs into the house.
"baby, we gotta go, we gotta go now"
he sees my face and stops.
"baby she died"
he goes out to get dad who doesn't know
i can't believe i have to tell my dad that she's dead.
he sees my face and starts screaming.
"no, no, no..."
"daddy, mommy died."
i said it just like that.
my dad is on the floor screaming.
no one knows what to do.
kaylin and randy don't know yet.
i call kay, she's already around the corner
from the hospital.
i tell her and she beings to cry.
she'll meet us there.
mike, dad, pj and me get in the car.
i call randy and tell him.
silence.
he'll meet us there as well.
mike sends out quick prayer request text messages.
i start texting those closest to me too.
dad's driving. his cigarette shaking in his fingers.
i'm in pj's arms in the backseat.
i don't think i understand what's happened yet.
we see kay and dan in the parking lot.
hugs and tears and trying to
figuring out what happened to mommy.
i run in to get visitor passes so we don't have to
wait at a desk.
visitor passes? for who? my dead mother?
a nurse sees us and recognizes our anguish and grief
and ushers us into a small room.
i notice that mommy's door is closed shut with some
orange sticker on the knob.
the doctor comes in.
there's a minister there but i don't like her.
she didn't know my mom.
she doesn't know us.
i don't like the doctor either.
the doctor tells us that mommy
had a second heart attack.
dad wants to know why she didn't
have a monitor on and why the nurses
weren't watching her.
there's a knock on the door.
our pastor is here.
thank God.
the doctor askes if we want to see her.
we're all unsure.
he warns that she still has some tubes in her
because they need them for any autopsy.
i want to see her.
dad isn't sure.
pj doesn't.
randy wants to see her.
kaylin doesn't.
mike's coming.
so is pastor.
i don't think there's anything
to prepare yourself for seeing
a dead loved one.
i think there's this romantic notion
of them seeming just asleep or at peace.
mommy's yellow.
and her mouth is open.
and her eyes are squinted.
she looks in pain but i don't say it aloud.
she looks thin.
the only thing that looks the same is her hair.
her glorious, blonde, poker straight hair.
it feels the same.
it smells the same.
and i begin to cry.
i think about lazarus in the bible and
i beg God to bring her back to us.
later, i find that mike was thinking the same thing.
pastor and the ministerlady are talking
and i still don't like her.
(i don't know why)
i leave the room and see kaylin and pj.
i tell them she's not so bad.
randy is down the hall.
i run into his arms and cry even harder.
he whispers in my ear something about being the strong
one and being like mom but i can't remember now.
i wish i could.
on the ride home, i use mom's cell to start
calling people.
there are so many.
i have to call her best friend, my Godmother, aunt chrissy.
her wailing still haunts me.
not as much as dad's screaming..but still.
i tell my uncle, her brother.
his reaction is something i cannot post on this blog.
i can't remember the last time
i ever talked to so many people in one day.
what happened..over and over again.
i find out that someone in our church was on the phone
with her when the second heart attack happened.
they were just chatting when my mom said suddenly,
"i'm not feeling well"
then a crash... 
then silence.

i think about that moment a lot.
sometimes i wonder if an angel walked in and just told my
mom that it was time to go Home and that was it.

i hope so.

i'm really not sure why i'm writing all of this.
maybe i just need to get it out.
minute by minute.
it took me weeks to fully understand how painful
those first few hours after losing mom were.
i didn't have a chance to deal with anything.
but God is good and He carried me through.

i remember the following evening, after
mike, dad and i make arrangements
having a panic attack in my parents living room
burying my face in the place
where she always sat.
crying and screaming and trying to find air
it was the first time dad reassured me
and it meant everything to me.

i remember sitting at her computer and 
looking into the other room...
it was like she could come down the stairs
at any moment to go on facebook
and wish everyone "goodnight, sweetpeas"

i remember looking through thousands of photographs
and reliving so many moments with her...showing people as they
stopped by to drop off food or check in on dad.

i remember sitting down in this very spot
to write the words i would say at her funeral.
it was the hardest and easiest thing
all at the same time
to speak of my mom and the woman she was
and to give glory to my King.

a year later, i wanted to do something special for her.
i don't think i or anyone else in my family
is ready to spread her ashes, but i wanted to do something.

{my locket with mom's ashes sealed inside}

i spent a lot of time praying and thinking about a tattoo to honor her but point to Jesus.
lately, i've been reflecting on Heaven so much and coming across my favorite c.s. lewis quote, i came to realize something.
when i think about my mom, she feels far away.
i can't explain it...but she feels like a dream.
so good, so wonderful, but i just can't grasp it.
kind of the way i thought about Heaven...
amazing, perfect, but intangible...


in my reflections i realized that 
Heaven isn't the dream.
this life is the dream.
Heaven is the reality.  
this life is a moment, 
a piece of dust 
that does not stand the 
test of eternity.


God created each of us for one reason, 
one purpose…to glorify Him.  
My mother’s life is filled with experiences 
and things and people.   
There were moments that changed not only her life 
but the lives of others.  
She did good things and bad things.  
We can look at all the things that defined who she was and all the things that defined our love for her. 
I need you all to understand what I understand, now. 
In that moment when my mother closed her eyes 
for the last time here earth, 
the only thing that mattered was whether she was one of His?
I believe with all my heart that my heart that in that next moment, she opened her eyes to see the face of God
...and she was Home.

One year ago,
 I thought my world ended, 
but it was her world that began.


“There was a real railway accident,” said Aslan softly. “Your father and mother and all of you are - as you used to call it in the Shadowlands - dead. The term is over: the holidays have begun. The dream has ended: this is the morning.”
And as He spoke He no longer looked to them like a lion; but the things that began to happen after that were so great and beautiful that I cannot write them. And for us this is the end of all the stories, and we can most truly say that they all lived happily ever after.  But for them it was only the beginning of the real story. All their life in this world and all  their adventures in Narnia had only been the cover and title page: now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story which no one on earth has read: which goes on forever: in which every chapter is better than the one before.

I leave you with Romans 8:18,
 For I consider that the sufferings 
of this present time are not worthy 
to be compared with the glory 
that is to be revealed to us.



there will be a day when i close my eyes
and open them to see the face of God.
mommy will be there.
and i know what she'll say:

good morning sweetpea.

{oh my heart.  i love my mother.}



6 comments:

Erica said...

Thank you for sharing a piece of your heart. I feel like I know a bit better now. Praying for your broken heart, your beautiful heart that reflect our King. ((((HUGS))))

Anonymous said...

So much love,always

kathleenfulton said...

Oh Jess,...your light always shines through. You have come so far and accomplished so much this year! Although it is exciting, I know it must be bittersweet to not be able to share your success with Mom, but know that she is smiling and so proud of you! I am holding you close in my heart in both thoughts and prayers today and for some time...Hoping time, friends, family and your new passion(vocation-photography)can continue to bring you some fulfillment and joy, as you know how your Mom just wanted you to be happy...Sending you a Big (((HUG)))today (from Me and Talia <3 <3 <3 )

To God be the Glory! said...

2 Cor. 1:4 "..comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God." This piece will be read and and will comfort many who have lost. Thank you for sharing Jess.

rwendt said...

you are SO incredibly strong! it's awesome how you always turn to God for comfort and strength during the hardest situations. you are an incredible christian example and role model. praying for you during your hard time <3

CaseyWiegand said...

im seriously crying my eyes out :(